Sunday, March 10, 2019

Words

I wrote a lot, Of love and of hate
Of summer's spring, Of winter's fall
Of my past's present, Of my future's fate
And stories of men, some near, some far

Words of passion, Words of devotion
Of the lust for heaven, Of the fear of hell
Of mice and men, and of sheep
Of how we live and die, to someone else's beat

The whispers of the wind, The sighs of the sea
The babble of brooks and rambles of the wood
The sounds of silence, and the silence of strife
I wrote them all down, scratches on a sheet of white

Wrote a word or two
Of the yearnings in my heart,  and of the stirring of my soul
Of playing my part, knowing my role
And few about wishing on a star, dreaming for a bit more. 

Then I bundled it all in a song
And sang it to you, hoping that you'd sing along
But oh, and how I wish this weren't true
In the end, they were just words to you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment