Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Gift to my Grandad

Thank You


Dear Appupa

Well I’ll be honest from the start, its 4.17 am in the morning; I’ve been thinking about what to get you, and I’m stumped. Picking out Ammuma’s Sari was by no means an easy task. Khadi, Tusser, Kanchivaram, handmade, machine made, I must have browsed through at least 50 of them before settling for one that I actually liked. Right now as I write this I’m not even sure how my choice will be received by you all but hopefully everyone will like it, especially Ammuma. In her case I’ve always known from the beginning what I needed to get her, it was just the selection that was the tough part. But you Sir, have proven to be an exceptionally difficult person to shop for.

You see the reason behind this is that I believe a gift should not be given just because the occasion demands that one be given.  It should hold some value in the hearts of both the receiving and gifting parties. In Ammuma’s case, this Sari is actually the fulfillment of the promise I made to her when I was god knows how many years old. So it naturally means a lot to both her and me. No such pact exists between us. You’ve never asked, and neither have I ever offered to buy you anything from my first salary. But I really want to get you something too, so I have given this a lot of thought, trying to come up with some suitable options. But I soon realized that whatever I could come up with, be it a watch, t-shirts, walking sticks or pens,  was something you already possessed and that too in surplus amount. So it wouldn’t really be useful. Actually no, as I’m writing this I realize that you would indeed happily accept any of the above, just because it’s a gift from your grandson. The actual reason behind me not going for something like a Titan is something far more selfish; I want to give you something that’s special and I wouldn’t personally derive the same pleasure giving a simple watch to you as I would giving that Sari to Ammuma.

Finally I’ve come to the conclusion that I really can’t buy you anything. Simply because unlike Ammuma’s sari, whatever stuff I buy you would only be materially significant. It’d seem like merely going through the motions; like a formality.  No, I want my gift to be more. To mean more. So I’ve decided that if I can’t buy anything for you, I’ll create something for you. Now if I was a painter I’d paint you a picture, or if I was a singer I’d have composed a song and sung it to you, but since writing’s the medium I’m the most comfortable with, I’ll try to do this with words. ­­

Your principles have always acted as a lighthouse for the family, guiding us to safe waters during troubled times. I’ve always regarded you as the only role model of my life, and hell, if I’m able to conduct my life even half as honorably as you have I’d be an extremely happy man. I’ve always believed that the worth of one’s existence shouldn’t be judged by the success achieved by him, but by the difference he’s made in the life of others. And I’m sure each and every one of us in this room would be very different people hadn’t you been a part of our lives. Be it about cricket, politics, religion, science, mythology or just life in general, I treasure each and every conversation I’ve had with you. They’ve played a major role in defining my value system and how I perceive things.  Even more though, I treasure the time I got to spend with you while having those conversations. It’s only after staying in Bangalore for such a long time, that I realized how much I valued those morning and evening walks with you. And not just the walks, sitting with you and verifying if all the medicines had been properly derived, listening to you explain the finer points of the Gita to Ammau, you getting that tad bit irritated when Ammuma’s nagging got a bit too much to handle, your frustration with those never ending Malayalam TV serials…..… I miss them all. In a nutshell, all I’m trying to say is that today I’m working in a respectable company and earning a respectable income, I’ve also had a moderately successful academic career, and to a large extent it’s because of you and you’re presence in my life. But most of all I owe you for my principles. They definitely wouldn’t be what they are if I didn’t have you to observe and learn from.

So Appupa, this is it. My gift to you. It may not be much, but these are 888 words straight from the heart. I won’t call them the best 888 words I’ve ever written but they’re definitely the 888 most honest ones. Of these 886 of them are also though, the most unnecessary ones that I’ve ever put on paper. That’s because everything I’ve said and everything I’ve wanted to say but somehow couldn’t, can all be summed up by the first two words you read.

I love you.

Oh, and a happy belated birthday!!


-Hari 

No comments:

Post a Comment